Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bedbugs Are Everywhere

I just got back from receiving a tutorial on identifying evidence of bedbugs in motels from my neighbor the exterminator and am experiencing a clinical case of the willies. I'm itching everywhere. Anyway, I'm going to write it all down before I forget it. First you need a bright flashlight and a spray bottle of bedbug killer in case you come across any. They like to live in the edges of the mattresses and box springs, like where the beading is. You have to lift the box spring because if you're going to find them in the bed they'll most likely be there. Even if you don't see live ones, if you see little specks like pepper or ashes from cigarette that's the "bedbug fecal matter." Or in other words the digested and excreted blood of previous guests. 


But wait! There's more! He said that in at least 50% of the bedbug cases he's worked he's found the little bastards behind the headboard. Because hotel headboards aren't really headboards but are hung on the wall like a picture. It's flat and dark back there which they like. Oh and if we do find evidence we need to make sure we don't get moved next door because they can travel under walls!! They will migrate up to around 10 feet if they sense a warm body. Yeesh, I think that's it. 


I'm still itching...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and I forgot. Never leave your bags on the floor and zip them up when you're done. And if you're worried you got some put your bag in a black trash bag and leave it in the sun. They and their eggs die at 100 degrees for over 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I travel a lot for work and also fear the bed bug. I've used this website to scope out hotels: http://bedbugregistry.com/

    Maybe your tour be rocking and your bed free of bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might puke. I'd probably end up sleeping in the van. Sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete